Friday, February 10, 2012

Buttermilk Pie - Heaven in a Pie Crust

Not everyone has heard of buttermilk pie.  But it was pretty common where I grew up in the south.  My mom made it on occasion and also called it chess pie or impossible pie (I guess because it's impossible to screw up!)  Seriously, this pie is so simple to make and the most delicious treat you will ever taste in a pie crust. 

I hadn't baked a buttermilk pie in several years and was craving one recently.  I Googled it and came across this amazing recipe from The Homesick Texan blog.  Thank you Homesick Texan for sharing this amazing recipe!!

Buttermilk Pie

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tbsp flour
8 tbsp butter (1 stick) softened
3 large eggs, beaten
pinch of salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp white vinegar
1 pie crust

Preheat the oven to 350.  Bake the pie crust for 10 minutes.

Combine the sugar and the flour.  Cream the butter.  Add the sugar mixture to the butter and then stir in the eggs, salt, buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla, and vinegar.

Pour the mixture into the partially baked pie crust and then bake until brown on top and the custard has set, about 45-50 minutes.

Notes:  Now that I have a 12 month old running around, I no longer make homemade crusts.  I used a store bought Pillsbury crust that was perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment