Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Chicken Potpie Soup with Pie Crust Animals

So after exactly one year of not posting to my blog, I finally found inspiration in this recipe which I clipped from the Feb/Mar 2013 issue of Taste of Home - my new favorite cooking magazine.  Whenever I make chicken pot pie, I always find myself slurping spoonfuls of the filling like soup before I cover it with pie crust.  Why didn't I ever think to just serve it like a soup?  This recipe was answer to my dreams!


The recipe suggests using 2 1/2 inch heart-shaped or round cookie cutters, but since I was serving this to my two year old, I thought animal cutouts would be fun.  I also will probably use Pillsbury roll out pie crust next time just to save time.  This homemade crust was delicious, but so is Pillsbury!














































Chicken Potpie Soup with Pie Crust Animals

Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
5 to 6 Tbsp 2% milk

Soup:
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup cubed and peeled potatoes
1 cup chopped sweet onion
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn

In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly.  Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough holds together.  Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.

On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness.  Using a floured 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped or round cutter, cut 18 shapes.  Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.  Bake at 425 degrees for 8-11 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on a rack.

For soup, in a Dutch over, heat butter over medium-high heat.  Add the potatoes, onion, celery and carrots; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until onion is tender.

Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in broth.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes of until potatoes are tender.  Stir in remaining ingredients; heat through. Serve with pastries.

No comments:

Post a Comment