Friday, January 30, 2009

Tuscan Bread Salad

I LOVE Tuscan Bread Salad, but it's been a really long time since I've made it for some reason. After last night, I'll be making it a lot more often. It's a really delicious way to use up an extra baguette.
1 day old baguette, sliced, grilled, and cut into chunks
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cup mozzarella, cubed
1/2 purple onion, sliced thin
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 cup arugula
1 1/2 cup basil, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely diced
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 olive oil
salt and pepper
Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together garlic, vinegar, and oil. Drizzle over salad, stir, and season with salt and pepper. This is best eaten right away because the bread will eventually get too soggy.

Grilling the bread:

Slice the baguette in thick slices. Rub garlic all over each slice and brush with olive oil. Grill or toast (I like to use my grill pan shown here).


I served this with sliced grilled chicken on the side, but the chicken would probably be good mixed in as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment