Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Twist on a Cuban Sandwich

The Cubana Cafe is one of our favorite places to eat in New York, but John and I have not dined there in a long time...not since Missy and Stephen came to visit the city last summer. Our favorite item on the menu is the Cuban sandwich...roast pork, sliced ham, swiss cheese, pickles, and chipotle mayonnaise grilled inside a crusty roll...perfection!

I felt inspired to try my own version of the Cuban sandwich the other day after having made a pork roast in my crock pot. My version included shredded roast pork, pickles, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and dijon mustard. I used a sandwich roll (not sure what kind exactly) that I bought at the deli across the street and pressed the sandwich on a hot frying pan with my tea kettle which was filled with water to add weight.

Now, nothing beats eating the real deal along with an icy mojito, surrounded by the tropical cafe decor, but this was pretty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment