Monday, September 7, 2009

The Perfect Omelet

For years I have tried over and over to make the perfect omelet, but have never been able to figure out the secret to that perfection. I always burn or over cook the bottom of the omelet and I can't stand the smell or taste of over-cooked eggs.
After recently reading about omelettes in "Julie & Julia" and then getting Mastering the Art of French Cooking (where omelettes are explained in full detail for many pages complete with illustrations) I was inspired to seriously try to learn the secret of the omelet. I've made about 6 attempts in the last few weeks and I think I've got it down!
First, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a hot pan, rotating the pan to coat all edges. Then pour in 2 beaten eggs seasoned with salt and pepper, hold the pan at a 45 degree angle with one hand and stir the eggs quickly and constantly with the other hand. Keep shaking the pan back and forth and lifting the edges of the eggs with a spatula. The filling can be sprinkled in just before the eggs are done. Then holding the pan over a the plate, lift the edge of the omelet farthest away from the plate and begin rolling it like an enchilada so that it rolls off the pan and onto the plate.
I guess the secret is all in the way you hold the pan and keep it constatly shaking. And it's also amazing what a tablespoon of butter can do to food. Unfortunately, omelettes are not photogenic, so this picture in no way conveys just how fabulously delicious it really was.
I've been making herbs and parmesan omelettes with rosemary, scallions, thyme, and fresh grated parm.



No comments:

Post a Comment