Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fritto Misto


I recently had half a zucchini and sqaush leftover and rather than the usual steaming, I decided to try something different and a little more decadent...fritto misto, which is Italian for "fried mix".  It's made of bite size pieces of vegetables or meat that are battered and then fried.  I ate something similar to this when I was studying abroad in Italy in 1997. 

I made this on the fly and decided to lightly flour the vegetables rather than make a batter, but that definately would have been good too.


Fritto Misto Squash and Zucchini
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 cup sliced squash (I chose to remove seeds and halve the squash slices)
4 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet.

Combine all ingredients in a large ziploc bag and shake until vegetables are well coated.  Add vegetable slices to pan in a single layer.  Cook until lightly browned, flipping as needed.  Remove from oil and place on a paper towel for a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment