Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pesto with Spinach and Chives

When I buy basil, it usually comes in a bundle too large to use at one time.  Most dishes only call for a few leaves at a time and then the bundle goes bad before it can all be used.  My favorite way to use up all the leftovers is to make a big batch of pesto.  We eat it with pasta and use it as a spread for sandwiches and wraps.  It will last at least a week in the fridge and can be frozen.  One cook book I read suggests freezing it in ice cube trays so that it can be used in small portions whenever needed.  I love that idea, but I've never actually tried it. 

I've come across several different variations of pesto recipes, but this is probably my favorite.  I love the idea of using raw spinach along with the basil for added vitamins.  I also love adding walnuts along with the pine nuts since we almost always have them on hand.  The chives are also a non-traditional addition which give the pesto some extra punch. 

Pesto with Spinach and Chives
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup chives or scallions, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (and/or toasted walnuts)
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in food processor until finely processed.  Add more olive oil if needed to reach the desired consistancy.  Stir a few tablespoons into hot cooked pasta and serve with extra Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese grated on top.  Refrigerate leftovers.  Blend with mayo for a delicious sandwich spread, stir into sauteed vegetables or rice or serve alongside grilled meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment