Friday, February 5, 2010

Vegetarian Chili

Last year John gave me a book called The Quilters Kitchen by Jennifer Chiaverini.  It's a short novel with recipes at the end of each chapter.  This was the first recipe I tried and it was delicious!  I did make some changes, though.  I added the chicken broth, which I guess makes the chili not so vegetarian.  I also added the Sazon Goya seasoning packet.  My mom has been using this seasoning in her cooking lately and had just mailed a few packets to me to try.  I also did not use the eggplant, but only because I couldn't find it at the mini grocery where I had shopped that day.  I would probably use it next time.

Vegetarian Chili
2 tbsp olive oil
2 Spanish onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small eggplant, peeled and cubed
2 small zucchini, cubed
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 packet Sazon Goya seasoning
1/2 quart chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup dried brown lentils
2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
Garnish ideas: tortilla chips, shredded cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat.  Add onions, garlic, peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and spices and cook until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. 

Add the broth, beans, lentils and tomatoes and cook, covered, for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.  If the chili begins to boil, lower the heat. 

Garnish, serve, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment