Friday, February 12, 2010

Rice Pudding with Dried Fruit and Nuts

Rice pudding is not the kind of dessert I would normally make.  It's not that I don't like it, I just don't crave it the same way I do cupcakes or chocolate.  However, John recently mentioned that he loved tapioca and rice pudding, and since I'm always looking for good stovetop desserts to make, I decided to try it.  I referred to two different rice pudding recipes and came up with my own version below.  It was delicious!

Rice Pudding with Dried Fruit and Nuts

3/4 cup uncooked Jasmine rice
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup dried fruit, chopped (I used a combination of dried apricots, raisins, cranberries, and blueberries)
1/2 cup toasted nuts, chopped (I used slivered almonds and walnuts)
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
dash of almond extract

In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil.  Add rice and stir.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

In another saucepan, combine cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar, and salt.  Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and creamy, about 20 minutes.  Stir in remaining milk, beaten egg, fruit, and nuts.  Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat, and stir in butter, vanilla, and almond extract.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment